Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Pains and Joys of Work



Serving is quite the art.

You balance hot plates on one arm, take orders from multiple customers, serve drinks, and so on and so forth. All this is done with the hope of taking a good amount of money at the end of the day, and being able to move forward financially.

Photo credit: tipsfromyourwaitress | Tumblr
However, we often disregard the good work interactions that we have, and don’t, with others. For me in particular, I have had both. With coworkers, and with customers. 

I have been reminded lately that the end-goal at work is to focus on yourself and ignore distractions. It has been a bit difficult though, after a series of disagreements with a coworker that have led me to be mentally exhausted almost every day. 

Understandably, everybody is different, but her demeanor towards me has not been the most pleasant, and it has made me uncomfortable. 

Everyone’s told me: “Sebastian, don’t worry about them. Just work and bring in the money that you need.” And they’re right. I already feel better and more ready to take in the disagreements. 

The experience has been completely different with the customers though. I have met people from Mexico, Germany, the UK, and Panama, just to name a few. They share their ills, and tell me of how different the US is. On the other side, I agree with them and tell them of what I learned while living abroad. One customer though, an American, eventually shared with me his writing blog and read mine as well. It was a moment that I really appreciated, and renewed my desire to interact with others and learn about them as much as possible. 

Eventually, life is about living and learning, and of meeting new people, whether they are pleasant or not. Since in the end, it is you who is affected, and who matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment